The bin Laden Mission, ‘Graphically’ Re-told

The mission to take down Osama bin Laden is a story that will be retold in many ways well into the future. Expect detailed intelligence and military analysis. Expect a made-for-TV movie and full-length feature film.

But one of the earliest attempts to paint a picture of the mission does that – literally.

With Code Word: Geronimo Marine combat vet-turned-actor, producer, consultant and author Dale Dye, along with his wife, Julia, offer an illustrated re-telling of the story. Think historical re-enactment in the form of a graphic novel.

“I always felt that in the ongoing ‘what’s new in the next 15 minutes?’ news cycle that younger folks … would forget how really well done this [mission] was by some terrific special operators and analysts cooperating across the board,” the retired Marine captain said in a telephone interview Oct. 8.

“I thought maybe we can do something about that – give them something they can read and keep the light shining where it should shine,” he said.

The Dyes took on the project for Charlie Foxtrot Entertainment, where Dale Dye is also a director. CFE is a military-oriented and veteran managed production company that’s into comics, books, television and films. It is published by IDW Publishing, whose titles included a number with strong military themes, from GI Joe comics to graphic novels such as Finding Peace and Children of the Graves, both written by Persian Gulf War vet Tom Waltz.

“They called and said we should take a shot at this ‘Neptune’s Spear’ bin Laden raid in the graphic novel format,” he recalled. “Neptune’s Spear” was the actual mission code name.

The project would be something new for Dye.

“Julie thought, here’s a change,” he said.

Julia Dye is not only Mrs. Dale Dye, she’s essentially the XO of Warriors Inc., their film consulting company. The Dyes have been consultants on productions such as Saving Private Ryan, Born on the Fourth of July, Forrest Gump, Starship Troopers and Tropic Thunder.

“At Warriors Inc. our mission was always to educate civilians about the realities of professional men and women in the military,” she said. “As part of that we always looked for the right medium to convey that – films, TV, video games.

“The reason we thought this one made sense is we’d be able to get it out in a timely manner,” she said. “We know there will be much longer and scholarly works and feature films. Those will take time. This is a different kind of story.”

They knew they were under a time crunch. Osama bin Laden was killed by the Navy’s SEAL Team 6 team on May 1 and CFE and the Dyes were looking to get a book out by September.

Julia did much of the research and built the timeline for the mission while Dale reached out to contacts in the special operations world.

“I knew – we all knew – that some things should be revealed and some things should not be revealed,” he said. “My sources trusted me, but much was off the record … Sometimes I’d ask a question and only get ‘yes’ or ‘no’ responses.”

The story was an exciting one, obviously, but they didn’t want to dumb it down by giving readers something in which facts didn’t matter. It was not to be an over-the-top comic book in which events in the story didn’t’ make sense but just looked good on paper.

They also decided to remove politics from the storyline.

“This is a story of an American success,” he said. “It carried over two administrations. It’s about American people, about the military, the civilian agents, the various [intelligence] agencies … That’s what we wanted to focus on. It was not the success of one group, but the success of all the groups working together.”

Dye said there’s already too much division in the country, with people too much identifying with one or another group. They wanted readers of Code Word: Geronimo – regardless of political affiliation – to see the story as their own.

“I’m an American. I’m part of this. This is my story, too.”

Code Word: Geronimo. By Capt. Dale Dye and Julia Dewey Dye. 88 pages. IDW Publishing.

1. allah says:

u guys are a bunch of ****** worthless prics bin laden was the second greatest man to ever live, hes right next to hitler in my book!!!!!!

2. Mel says:

You and allah can join bin laden in ****!

3. Swedish Soldier says:

@Allah

He’s right next to hitler in my book too. Though this is not quite the positive you may think it is. Quite the contrary.
    Hope to see you in afghanistan! Think of me when the bullets come flying your way. I’ll think of you when I put you or your “brothers” in bodybags. :)

Have a nice day.

4. Bad Karma says:

@ Allah,

Here’s to hoping that we meet somewhere in the sandbox. I’ve got a full mag with your name on it.

@ Swedish Soldier,

Here’s to hoping that we meet somewhere in the sandbox.
    When we hit the E-Club, rounds are on me.

5. Blackout375 says:

Nice one Allah. Bin laden fought like a coward(hiding behind women and children), lived like a coward(hiding behind women and children), and died like a coward(hiding behind women and children). The only thing he was good at was killing lots of innocent women and children. Some warrior to follow, Allah. I’m sure God is just as embarrassed of you as we are.

Btw, we really do rub bacon grease on all of our bullets and bombs. See you in ****, sucka! AAAhahahahahah.

6. peaceisalie says:

I can’t wait join special forces to hunt mother@$#%er’s like Osama bin laden and Hitler i’ll search the earth for you evil ******** and make sure you pay dearly for what you’ve done

7. Fred says:

@Allah! You follow a coward that hides behind innocent people, you will die a cowards death! Let’s hope its very soon!

8. WarPony says:

how convenient. first casualty of war — TRUTH~!

9. Remnant 13 says:

ghost written by seal 6 downed in their school bus chopper

10. Satos marchetti says:

This is especially the Yankee way, brutally killed, the good old war horses in Afghanistan 1980–1989 ..!.
    A “reward” for bin Laden, his body ended as shark feeding Pacific ..
    H. B. Obama .. thank you!
    Next time, the Muslim Mujahideen, have not raised
    .. and the small thumb that the Yankees solve their problems with China, Iran, Korea Kim .. ect …!

11. Michael says:

I think Neptune’s Spear would have been a far more accurate term for this mission vs. Operation Geronimo. Geronimo was never captured…he turned himself in as an Apache warrior. One great mission name was the USAAF/RAF bombing campaign of Hamburg, Germany in mid 1943–Operation Gomorrah, as in Sodom and Gomorrah. No wonder a recent book on the raids is called “Inferno”.…

12. John Sawyer says:

The comment left by “Allah” was supposed to be a sarcastic one directed AGAINST people like bin Laden and Hitler. Note the Islamic name for God is “Allah”–the comment is phrased as if Allah himself were speaking.

• Jeff Meyers says:

By this article, you would think the book drew itself. It was actually created AND drawn by a very good comic artist, Gerry Kissell, who is also a fellow military vet…he served as a U.S. Army Combat Medic, and his name is Gerry Kissell. Check out his website, he’s done some really cool military comics.

Why wouldn’t they mention that in this article? Didn’t he ask who drew it? The guy pretty much ONLY draws military themed comics. *** guys?

Anyway, I got my copy of the book from Amazon, but was lucky, getting it signed by the artist/creator himself at a comic book convention I attended. We swapped a lot of military stories..very funny and nice guy.

• Thank you Jeff. I remember you from the Missouri convention, and you are far too kind.

You know, I’ve been a member of military​.com since 2004; I joined to find my friends from the Army. Ironically, I found them on facebook.

Anyway, I am sure the writer not mentioning me is just an over-site. After all, its hard to talk to Dale Dye and not forget yourself a bit. LOL I should know, I am close friends with the Skipper and Julia, and aside from my late father, and my first sergeant in the Army, Skipper is the only other man that can make my butt clench when he talks to me.

13. Tony says:

Allow me to ask from this post please if this is you Mr. Jeff Myers who joined the USSFlint ship AE-32?