‘Monuments Men’: Saving Art from the Nazis

monumentsmen

Here’s a World War II story we haven’t heard before: the Monuments Men were a group of art curators and historians tasked by FDR with preventing the destruction of cultural landmarks during the Allied invasion and later recovering works of art stolen by the Nazis.

Robert M. Edsel wrote a fascinating history book about their efforts and now George Clooney has written, directed and stars in a new movie based on that book. Matt Damon, John Goodman, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett and Bob Balaban round out the cast.

The first trailer for the movie just debuted online and the movie is due in theaters this Christmas. Clooney produced last year’s Best Picture Oscar winner Argo and this looks like the same kind of compelling, based-on-a-true-story take on a familiar subject.

1. Rosalee says:

one more feather in the hat of La la land wannabes

• Bud says:

Have you ever gone behind enemy line? Have you ever infiltrated, and lived among the enemy and reported back. Have you ever acted on a stage? Imagine deceiving the enemy face to face. Where the slightest hint of mistake can get you and the troops you are protecting killed? Actors and camera operators and writers, and musicians and photographers and film makers serve their country too. I am a motion picture director and I have done the things described above. I think you are a wannabe.

2. michael says:

So, would they have qualified for the drone combat medal?

3. Rudy says:

Be looking to see it. It may be interesting and worth seeing.

4. @NavyPro says:

Yes, actors, directors and producers do a critical job for our country. We cannot live without them. WoW! Do you liberals ever hear what you say? Bud, I appreciate that you have been there. I appreciate that you spent several years in the Entertainment industry pretending to be something other than you are or managing others in being something other than they are. As for me, I did a real for several years that had real impact. I am a retired Navy Aviation Maintenance Officer.

• George Gouker says:

@Navypro. I respect the fact that you have served. I too am a Navy Career Vet(77–94). I do think that you are misunderstanding Budds comment. IMO he is not trying to take anything away from those who have served, he is just saying that military journalist have served alongside soldiers for a long time. During WWII these men served right besides active units including some up on the front making sure that history was properly recorded. Please remember that no contribution is to small when it comes to defending freedom. The contribution of the War Time correspondent is an important part of history. We are all proud of what we have done during our time in the service or during the wars that our country has gotten herself into. Personally I say Thank you to you for all that you have done and to Budd I say the same thing for all that you have done. The same to all that have served in any way!

• Lynda Nerhood says:

clearly you are not jewish and have no understand of the Holocaust! I feel sorry for anyone as shallow as you!

5. soxfaninatl says:

No fanatical fundamental Jihadists are the greatest disaster for mankind.

6. George Gouker says:

Just watched the trailer, loved what I\‘ve seen so far, can\‘t wait to see the full movie! December can\‘t get here fast enough!

7. greg mitchell says: