‘Return to Mogadishu’ 20 Years Later

Recently, U.S. Army Best Ranger Jeff Struecker returned to Somalia twenty years after he fought in the battle that inspired the book and movie Black Hawk Down. It’s the first time a Ranger has returned to the scene and he took along fellow Army Ranger Keni Thomas and a film crew to record his experience.

The result is a powerful short film called Return to Mogadishu. Rather than attempt to pad things out to make a feature-length documentary, producer Mary Beth Minnis and director Matt Knighton focus on the memories and reactions of the two Rangers as they tour the city and recount their memories of the fight.

jeffstrueckermogadishu550

“There is a great deal of killing, a whole lot of violence in the movie ‘Black Hawk Down.’ but to be honest with you, it is a fraction of what really happened in Somalia.”

You can watch our embedded video above or save it in your YouTube or Vimeo account if you want to watch it later on your phone, tablet or TV streaming device.

1. Chris says:

Every time I get to feeling low about my current medical condition. I put “Black Hawk Down” in my DVD.… And I thank God every day for the time I have been given.…… RIP all those killed, and give God’s peace to those who survived.……

2. Victor Joseph says:

A small piece of a relatively forgotten fight; from which many soldiers carry many forgotten and hidden injuries of emotion, soul and spirit. It’s a good real first look, first glimpse, at what so many of our people can carry around with them. For decades.

As a civilian who is looking at venturing into social work which revolves around the active military and veteran personnel; this short film is a rather eye-opening piece to me.

3. Scott Roder says:

Very nice movie little documentary. I was moved that Sgt. Struecker talked about turning his life over to god, and the feeling of peace that gave him. I hope he and Keni Thomas are in a better place mentally for having gone back to mogadishu

Rangers Lead the Way

4. Pauline chaney says:

My boyfriend was with 2/75th Ranger Battalion. Pete Hubert. He still carries the scars!

5. Rick says:

my brother was injured and received a medical retirement from his injuries. I just wanted to say, God Bless all those that served in the armed forces, past,present and future!

6. 20 yrs? It seems not so long ago that I felt sickened at how wrong that whole operation went and how many soldiers lost their lives as a result. I watched the documentary and can only imagine that the grace given to Robert Struecker by God during that chaos is with him still. God bless all those who put their lives on the line for their fellow soldiers for I do not believe that there is a politician out there, with certain notable exceptions who have served in the military, who would put their life on the line for a soldier.

7. Mox says:

I have had the privilege of talking with a former member of 3/75 Task Force Ranger. He is truly an inspiring hero. God bless him and all wounded veterans.