Amazon Prime Video is a great alternative to Netflix and the streaming service is available as part of Amazon’s Prime $99 annual service, which provides free two-day shipping, a book lending library for Kindle device owners and access to a large streaming music library as well as the movie and television streaming service.
Amazon has unlocked Prime Video streaming for military service members and their families at 24 international military bases, including those in Afghanistan, Turkey, Japan and Kuwait. In addition to Amazon’s own Fire devices, they make apps for pretty much every kind of mobile device (iPhone, Androids) and the Roku set top box (no Apple TV yet). You can also download most titles for offline viewing.
Amazon has invested in its own programming and created excellent shows like The Man in the High Castle, based on Philip K. Dick’s cult novel about an alternate history of America after Japan and Germany win World War II. Bosch, inspired by Michael Connelly’s acclaimed novels about LAPD Detective Harry Bosch, and Transparent, the award-winning series about a father who comes out as transgender to his adult children, have also developed sizable followings for the service.
Many of the movies that disappeared from Netflix last fall have found a new home at Prime Video and the service also offers complete seasons of older (but still awesome) HBO shows like The Sopranos and The Wire.
In addition, the Armed Forces Network is currently airing episodes of Amazon’s own series. Check out the schedule below.
This is a great deal at $8/month even if you’re not using the free shipping. Check it out.
Schedule for Amazon Original Series on AFN:
- Transparent: Mondays 11:00 PM local time starting on January 11
- Bosch: Tuesdays 11:00 PM local time starting on January 12
- Alpha House: Wednesdays 11:00 PM local time starting on January 13
- The Man in the High Castle: Sundays 12:00 AM local time starting on January 17
Here’s a complete listing of the bases where Amazon Video is unlocked for Prime members.
- Fenty (SniperHill)
- Kandahar (SniperHill & Ifone-Neda)
- Marmal (SniperHill)
- Bagram (SniperHill)
- Phoenix (SniperHill)
- Walton (SniperHill)
- Lightning (SniperHill)
- Leatherneck (SniperHill)
- Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base (SniperHill)
- Incirlik Air Base (Turk Telecom)
- Camp Lemonnier (US Navy)
- Yokosuka (Americable)
- Atsugi (Americable)
- Iwakuni (Americable)
- Sasebo (Americable)
- Kadena AB, Okinawa (Mediatti Broadband)
- Camp Foster, Okinawa (Mediatti Broadband)
- Camp Schwab, Okinawa (Mediatti Broadband)
- Fort Buckner (Okinawa Mediatti Broadband)
- Yokota Air Base (Allied Telesis)
- Misawa Air Base (Allied Telesis)
- Camp Arifjan (QualityNet)
- Camp Buehring (QualityNet)